Palliative Care and Hospice Care
Comfort measures at home during end of life care.
There come times in all of our lives when we are forced to say goodbye to someone we love. If your loved-one chooses end of life care in the comfort of home, Retire-At-Home can provide the professional and compassionate services to maintain their dignity and privacy.
Definition: What is Palliative Care or Hospice Care?
Retire-At-Home’s Palliative Care or Hospice Care is compassionate care of patients and families when cure is no longer possible. The care provided is designed to give support to people in the final stages of terminal illnesses, and emphasises comfort and quality of life rather than curative practices.
Palliative Care or Hospice Care strives to help clients and families:
- Address physical, psychological, social, spiritual and practical issues, as well as the associated expectations, needs, hopes and fears.
- Prepare for and manage self-determined life closure and the dying process.
- Hel cope with loss and grief during illness and bereavement.
Palliative Care or Hospice Care aims to:
- Monitor and manage ongoing issues and concerns related to the client’s health and well-being.
- Implement preventative measures and continuity of care to foster complete client comfort.
- Promote opportunities for meaningful and valuable experiences, personal and spiritual growth, and self-actualization.
Palliative Care or Hospice Care is appropriate for any client and/or family living with a terminal illness, regardless of age. Any time an individual has unmet needs or expectations during this difficult time and is willing to accept care, Retire-At-Home is here to provide service.
Our Palliative Care or Hospice Care Services
This time is extremely difficult and challenging for everyone involved, and it is for this reason that our experienced and well-trained caregivers and nurses will provide truly compassionate and holistic care that aims always to improve quality of life on physical, mental, and emotional levels, during life’s final stages. Our Care Management and Palliative Care Team have built a special working relationship with a palliative care outreach program that includes experienced doctors and specialists, in order to implement and manage customized care plans befitting your loved one’s needs and preferences.
At Retire-At-Home, our total care approach to Palliative Care and Hospice Care includes:
- Daily monitoring of client health and revision of their care plan as needed.
- Assistance with pain management.
- Regular sponge bathing and personal care.
- Mouth care.
- Positioning and repositioning in bed to promote skin integrity.
- Monitoring of and assistance with dietary needs.
- Regular communication with palliative care doctors and other health professionals involved.
- Regular communication with family members.
- Ensuring the dignity, respect, and privacy of the client as per their direction and religious beliefs.
- Arrangements for Home Medical Equipment and Supplies.
- Filling in the gaps with public services to ensure consistency of care.