At Retire-At-Home our priority has always been to provide high quality personalized care that addresses both the emotional and physical health of an individual. With this in mind, we have partnered with Fit Minds® to offer our clients an innovative approach to brain fitness through cognitive stimulation therapy (CST).
Studies have shown that regular use of CST leads individuals to achieve higher levels of mental activity, thereby reducing their risk of developing cognitive impairments brought on by Alzheimer’s disease or other neurological conditions.
What Is Fit Minds?
- Designed for individuals with dementia, Alzheimer’s or other neurological conditions, Fit Minds® is a customized cognitive stimulation therapy program based on the science of neuroplasticity.
- It is an interactive brain exercise program that challenges individuals to stretch their cognitive capacity and build cognitive reserve.
- Fit Minds® provides novel and complex challenges that focus on building brain resilience in a social setting. By focusing on all five areas of cognition, this approach helps to build overall brain health.
- The CST program promotes brain health in both healthy people and people with dementia.
Benefits To Our Clients
- Customized and personalized activities and materials covering all five areas of cognition:
- Language and Music
- Visual/Spatial Orientation
- Critical Thinking
- Can address various root causes of difficult behaviours in individuals suffering from dementia.
- An effective non-pharmacological treatment option for Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. It has been clinically shown to improve cognition and quality of life for individuals suffering from dementia.
- Delivered by certified caregivers– not computers, because human connections are key when it comes to brain health.
- A fun and stimulating learning environment that fosters brain fitness through human interactions.
- Ongoing assessments to track progress and develop session plans
FIT MINDS PROGRAMS
Interact® Individual Program – Person-Centered Care
The Interact® Individual program is a customized and personalized cognitive stimulation therapy program for dementia sufferers.
Designed to be delivered through human interaction, the program aims to slow disease progression and allows individuals to maintain their quality of life.
Each dynamic session is built on the previous session and includes activities in five areas of cognition: Language and Music, Visual/Spatial Orientation, Memory, Critical Thinking and Computation. Each session is customized to respond to the individual’s interests and abilities as he or she progresses through the program. The Interact® Individual program is accessed through an online portal. Each session is printed off and used by the individual during their session. This program is delivered by a certified Fit Minds® Cognitive Coach and is available in both French and English.
Stay Sharp™ Program – Keep Engaged Stay Sharp™
This is a social cognitive stimulation therapy group program designed for retirement communities and busy activity professionals. The program is aimed at encouraging cognitive resilience and better brain fitness for healthy seniors.
- a new session plan and download activities every week (52 in the year);
- a brain health lifestyle® challenge every week to encourage the adoption of a brain health lifestyle;
- a kit (customized cards and tote bag); and
- ongoing access to training portal for an unlimited number of staff.
Delivered in a group setting, Stay Sharp™ builds community by encouraging human interaction. The program is currently available in English and French.
Interact® Group Program – Build Connections
The Interact® Group program is designed for professional caregivers working in assisted living and long term care homes. The program is a group cognitive stimulation therapy program for seniors suffering from dementia.
Designed to be delivered through human interaction, the program includes:
- four new session plans and activity downloads per week (two of the session plans are aimed at mild to moderate cognitive impairments [Empowerment sessions] and the other two are aimed at moderate to severe cognitive impairments [Maintenance sessions]);
- a kit (customized cards, game boards and tote bag;
- and ongoing access to training portal for unlimited number of staff.
The Interact Group program provides essential face time – a key element for reducing anxiety and depression. The program is currently available in English and French.